View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #349
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

It seems like ages since I have worked on the woodie. I bought a '47 tonner pickup in April and felt I had to get that to a certain point before storing it away. Not sure why.... Today I stripped the woodie's frame of it's axle and springs and drove out the old king pins. So easy with the axle upside down! Good thing my buddy switched to disc brakes as my front drums were toast. Tomorrow I hope to clean and paint the axle and frame horns and get organized for installing the king pins and spring bushings and shackle kit. The new shock links are NOS Ford and the other 3 kits ( tie rod ends, spring bushings/pins and king pins) are NORS. All these components were supplied by Bob Selzam's 'Half ton fun' in Jackson NJ. I will of course be installing my new master cylinder, lines, hoses and wheel cylinders along with the steering and suspension parts at this point. Then it's engine, trans and a test drive around the property nice and slow, but I will have to finish the door latching process first. And yes, a normal person would have stripped the frame down in the beginning and completed all mechanical aspects before building a wooden car on top of it, but I needed the affirmation that I could do it and the inspiration of seeing the body so I would have the steam up to complete this long term project. Trying to complete it this summer is beyond me now, but with the good weather ahead I should get some good varnish on it and complete the big stuff. Then I have the fall and winter to do the interior, wiring, and the ton of details still required for a summer of woodie adventures next year. I intend to stay focused on the woodie now and am feeling quite energized with today's progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grille guard 023.jpg (75.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg woodie suspension and axle 022.jpg (77.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg woodie suspension and axle 036.jpg (76.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg woodie suspension and axle 040.jpg (83.4 KB, 84 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote