View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Corley

Default FSI distributor issue

I bought Elvira last fall, and it came with an FSI distributor installed. I'm playing with a Honda distributor project, so was checking out the FSI timing / advance before pulling it, and I discovered that whoever installed it, had set it at about 5 degrees after TDC, instead of the recommended 0 degrees. Being so retarded, it idled very slowly, so apparently because of this, they had cranked the idle speed up to an acceptable idle speed. However, this caused the idle jet adjustment to become quite ineffective, and the main jet (GAV) had more effect on idle.

When I installed the Honda distributor with a 10 degree vacuum activated advance at idle, of course the idle speed jumped up a lot, and I had to back off on the idle speed adjustment. This, in turn, restored the effectiveness of the idle jet screw, so now it has the effect it should have.

Just thought that was interesting, and if someone with a FSI distributor has difficulty with their idle jet, this may be the issue. If the butterfly is open past a certain point, the idle jet looses it's effectiveness.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote