View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
alan_d

Default Reliability of Early V8 and Highway Driving

[I hope this is the right place]

I'm interested in and trying to pinpoint what Truck I want to look for. I want one to use, not as my main truck, but as a 2nd truck of such. I want something I can use like a truck, and have lusted for a AA since seeing one a number of years ago. I won't be using it all the time, but I would want to haul lumber/timber and similar cargo with it, using it in the capacity of a flatbed as I use now. My current flatbed is a '97 with a 460 V8, so it's much larger capacity. I don't use my current flatbed to it's limit, so I'm pretty sure the AA/BB would suit me fine power wise. Like all things in life, more power is always welcome on old cars/trucks.

In trying to narrow this search down (no rush on my part), I come to the biggest difference between the AA and BB, that being the engine. Although there are other minor differences, this is the main one.

The simplicity of the 4 cylinder in the AA (and some BBs) seems to be a huge advantage. I do understand the V8 is a slightly more complicated motor, are they as reliable? Is more work often required on them to rebuild? The V8 was huge in Ford being able to turn around the company, and mostly because of the power and speed that most people desired.

In terms of power, the V8 has almost twice the HP, and speed is greatly improved, so I'm tending to lean towards a BB with the V8 in it as it seems better for any type of freeway driving. Another person implied these AA/BB trucks were not designed to run on the freeway, but there are people driving them all over youtube and other places.

Can some of you more knowledgeable folks who are more familiar with both of these engines offer some advice and/or the reliability of the early flathead V8 used in the BB trucks? Possibly a comparison between them and/or how you see both engines. I would appreciate it.

I understand that these are kind of like Apples and Oranges, and why I'm leaning towards the BB with the early V8 in it. There seem to be a LOT less of them though, and I suspect it's because Ford was having such a difficult time meeting the demands of the new V8 cars for a number of years. The V8 was instrumental in saving their company...I guess I'm getting a soft spot for that early V8.

Alan

Last edited by alan_d; 02-13-2018 at 06:32 AM.
alan_d is offline   Reply With Quote