View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 08:08 PM   #78
Newc

Default Re: Burned '32 PU came to new home today

Got into the NW Nationals! yippee!! New goal now. getting close- Painter may have cab done this next week. Engine -carb is cooked- found another all new- so good there. Rebuilt fuel pump does not fit- 'clocking' is wrong and CAN NOT be corrected. The discovery is the base. Most 4cyl pump bases are double drilled-12 threaded holes so the input/output ports can be 'clocked' to the position for the application. My base has only six- the wrong pattern for a Ford 32/34 B engine. Also the correct pump has a dip to clear the side cover bolt and the pump screws also clear that cover bolt. So dug up a correct pump and will see about the fit. Engine spins great and may get to pop it this week. Pump base photo here.
12 hole base- the 6 holes I needed were not tapped. easy fix. The diaphram and shaft have to rotate 90 * to lock into the operating lever and that required 6 new holes in the diaphram- corresponding with the base extra 6 Easy. So now my pump looks right and the check valves pass the finger over the port test. Something to look for when pump shopping.
A rebuilder stated that aftermarket B pumps may not have rebuildable check valves! explains a possible cause of the fire. Electric pump was necessary to start and over- fueled the carb. It then lit off and started the fire. Newc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2394.JPG (149.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Newc; 03-17-2022 at 09:52 PM.
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote