View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
criswellnk

Default Re: Gas without lead.

Whenever I take the model T out to a car show questions about leaded gas and adding a lead additive are by far the most commonly asked questions. Although I seldom hear that question when I take the A to a show. When you tell some folks that lead wasn't added to gas until the thirties, they look at you like you're nuts because "somebody" told them that all old cars need to use leaded gas or they won't run right and they will damage the engine. James is right, you do not need it, but it is your car and if you think that you do I won't argue with you about it.

As for the Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) that was mentioned, I used it once or twice in the A but stopped using it, but in the model T it goes in every other tank of gas. The engine has never been loud or knocking but after adding the MMO, the faint tick-tick-tick of the valves went away, never to be heard again. You will get a ton of differing opinions on lead additives, MMO or Seafoam and other additives, use whatever you think that you need. Stabil goes into every "last" tank of the season though, wether it is for the antique car, tractor, lawnmower, snowblower, or whatever, no exceptions.

Looking for a copy or reprint of 1932 A.E.A. Universal Catalog of Genuine Electrical Service Parts
criswellnk is offline   Reply With Quote