Thread: Hinge pins
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #35
Roger V

Default Re: Hinge pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
For my 30 standard coupe, I've removed my pins with a bit of difficulty and found the drill both sides method, then punch through works best. The "C" clamp shaped press was a waste money! Once I examined the removed pins, I found they were misshaped which adds to the problem of pushing them out without relieving resistance by drilling first.

Does anyone have a surefire means of selecting replacement pins? Some sample pins I purchased of different diameters fit holes in some of my hinges and not in others. Since all hinges are removed from the body and doors, it will be easy for me to drill the same size holes in all hinges and use the same size pins. Can any of you provide what worked uniformly for you as to size of drill bit and hinge diameter? Second question - any benefit of using stainless pins versus steel? I'm not concerned over the authenticity, rather am focusing on the functionality. My thanks.
Didn't know there were different sized pins other than straight vs. slant window. On a '30 I had I used the straight window pins. Did a clean-up drilling. Then I used the appropriate thickness shim stock to make a shim for the new hole to allow a couple thousandths clearance.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote