View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #20
Sedona48F1

Default Re: No key for locking gas cap...help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Victoria View Post
How times have changed. An old time locksmith would have a ring of “try out keys”. We had a 50 ish key set that fit 99% of all caps. If not we would pick the lock to remove it and hand impress a key on the bench. Never turned one away. This type of job was the meat and potatoes of business.
The locksmith has been in the business since the 70’s after service in Nam. He has 1000’s and 1000’s of keys. He sent one of his co-workers out with everything he needed. When a locking gas cap is seized up, well... it is seized up. It’s not like he didn’t try for a few HOURS. Seriously. Hours. When I bring it to a shop to try to get it started, I will pull the filler neck as someone nicely suggested and remove the cap from the inside once we get the lock off. The locksmith offered to make keys for it and the door, once the locks are in hand. For no additional charge! Kinda cool that he is still offering services and like you said “never turned away” even after they were up against a vehicle that I have no history on and how long it’s been sitting.

I’m sorry that I didn’t include all that info up front in the first post and give the complete story. So it’s not like this thing was running the day before and they just lost the keys the day before I bought it. Which may have been worse. lol
Sedona48F1 is offline   Reply With Quote