View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
TonyM

Default Buying V-8 Fords Far From Home

Rather than have my question hi-jack the thread about the unfortunate Willy's owner who was ripped off of $50,000 back east, I decided to start a dedicated thread for my question.

I have always bought my cars locally here in Illinois and Indiana. I am familiar with the titles and the taxes and all that for my home area and it is easy to move money around in the Chicago metro area, but how do you buy an expensive old car far from home?

Old timers have said to me recently, "You want a fine car? Go to Hershey or Carlisle and bring your checkbook." Is it that easy? I wouldn't think so. How do you bring along more than $10,000 + to pay for a car in another state far from home? Should I bring a Cashier's Check made out to me and then cash it if I need it? Will buyers take a personal check as a deposit until all the money can be brought to the table?

Cash is king they say but carrying around $10,000-$20,000 in cash doesn't sound like a good option. How do you conduct these high dollar transactions at the shows and still protect yourself?

What is the protocol?
How are these transactions executed?
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

TonyM.

Last edited by TonyM; 09-07-2010 at 11:06 PM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote