View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #6
tubman

Default Re: I'd like to start a new thread on the components we choose for an engine build

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I'll start. I'm an 8BA guy, so my choices will be what I like for that series of engine.

1. Bore and stroke. I prefer a 3 5/16" bore as the pistons are about the same price as the smaller pistons, give a measurable increase in displacement while still leaving room for several more rebuilds. I have built 2 3 5/16" bore so far and both worked out well. Because of this, I might like to try a 3 3/8" bore sometime, given piston availability and cost. I would like to avoid the expanse and complication of after market stroker kits and prefer Ford cranks and rods. I would prefer a Mercury crank if I could find one at a reasonable price, but will use a Ford if that's all I had. These combinations give displacements from 258 ci through 284 ci which I think are decent sizes.

2. Cam and lifters - Stock lifters and a Mercury or EAB cam for a heavier car. I used a MAX-1 on my last engine for a lighter car because I had it. The next time I would like to try something more aggressive as I find the MAX-1 kinda "mild". Again, I would use stock lifters and grind the stems to avoid the problems some have been having with the current adjustables.

3. Port and relieve - Nope; I don't think the return on the amount of work required makes this desirable. The same thing with oversize valves. Again, I am concerned only with mild, reliable street engines. (If I want to go racing, I have my hemi.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote