View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #25
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: 1936 Ford Pickup - New Engine and transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Gang . . . just want to ponder a couple things here. WE know what this site is all about - others do not. I think it is perfectly appropriate for us to say what the Barn is all about, the types of cars we build, etc.. What I question is when we decide to slay the newbie who came here looking for information, had honest questions, wasn't hostile, etc.. Why do we do that?

Do we need to immediately unwelcome those who (we decide) don't fit our culture and mode of operation - or should we do our best to communicate what we're all about (and why) and if they don't fit that mold, then direct them to the places that are more appropriate for their style of build? There is no reason to be judgmental or negative - nothing of value really comes of it.

I appreciate many forms of automotive design (own many different styles of vehicles) - and I've realized that while I have pretty strong opinions about a lot of things related to our early Fords, that I also am not the owner of the cars being discussed. I have no need to look down on those who don't build them the same way I do . . . in fact, I might learn something from those who are different than I. Example: I constantly learn from those who build race versions of our ole' flatheads.

In the end, it is always better to be clear, be positive and provide value to those who show up here - as they showed up with no bad intentions and it is not in our best interest to paint ourselves in a negative light.

Who knows, they may have a friend who DOES fit our mold, but they won't speak too highly of us if we slaughter them for innocently coming to the BARN (thinking we're a decent fit) - only to get a negative impression.

Okay, maybe one too may beers tonight . . . just wanted to bring some thoughts and perspectives to our collective table.

Very very well said, sir - thank you!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote