View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 11:10 PM   #15
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1956 Fairlane Victoria flex plate 292 fordomatic question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post
. . . The six holes around the center do not match up with the holes on the crankshaft. I checked another source that also sold the new flexplate and their picture looked identical to the one from Mac’s. The one difference was they included a note in the description that you only use four of the holes, not all six. I was able to attach the new flexplate with the three support rings using just four bolts. We’re you able to use all six bolts? Would just using four bolts be safe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
you need all 6.i would think the 4 bolts their talking about are for attaching the flex plate to the torque converter.the early one used 6.
Using 4 bolts at the crankshaft flange is not safe and will result in extremely serious damage when they fail.

All 6 bolts will line up when the flexplate is in the correct position.
One of the holes is offset on purpose, so the flexplate (or flywheel) only fits one way.
Diagrams at this link... http://www.ford-y-block.com/crankshaftid.htm

If all three rings are needed for the ends of the bolts to just clear the back of the block, all 3 of them go between the bolt heads and flexplate, none between the flexplate and crankshaft flange. I can double check this with my old-school machine shop tomorrow.
< edit >
I double checked the placement of the 3 reinforcing ring spacers with three different shops and they all said the correct placement is between the bolt heads and flexplate. Two of the three shops I called specialize in restoring '55/'57 Thunderbirds.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-22-2020 at 12:46 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote