View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
huddy

Default Wouldn't start - popout switch strikes again!

Yet again a model A owner is victimized by the infamous pop out switch!

I went to start my '30 coupe, so that I could take advantage of the nice day and get it into its "car bubble" for the winter. No luck. Since it ran fine about a month ago, I started by assuming a fuel problem - perhaps a stuck float valve.

I fiddled and fussed and determined it was getting gas. Move on to ignition. I tried a few tricks with wires and finally, in desperation, used my popout switch bypass, which removes the popout from the circuit and wires directly to the coil. Zoombah! Started right up.

So then I fished through my old parts and found the switch that was originally in it - a plain on-off ignition switch that had a fitting to connect to the distributor. Took me 30 minutes to replace the popout, and of course, the car ran fine with the crappy (but reliable) old switch installed. Got Enrico back into his cocoon for the winter.

Now I have a popout, good shape but not working. I'd sure like some ideas on how to get it functioning again (whether or not I put it back in is another story).

I can see why there were third party accessory switches sold in the 1930s. Glad it didn't happen on the road...