View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
A bones

Default Re: Hot rod radial rear tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Do you have radials on the front? About 40 years ago you could not run them on the rear only.
Bruce
In 1969 I read in an Industry newsletter that a bias ply tire was not capable of following ( in extreme driving ) the path that a radial tire could take. The statement was based on test track research.

It went on to say that if a radial was to follow a bias ply steer tire there was NO problem. The bias steer tire could not create vector forces that the radial could not handle. Where as the radial steer could out-maneuver a trailing bias ply, causing a loss of control.

I feel compelled to share that in 1993, while running some used rear tires that I had pulled from a large pile ( they had nice tread ) I proved this research myself. The tread had the look of a radial, and I had forgotten the aforementioned article.

The result was the loss of the vehicle, and a back injury that plagues me today. Luckily, the incident did not end my life, as it did kill the vehicle.

Thanks for listening. To clarify my emotions:
Bias ply Sunday cruises, back roads, parades, fair weather. As long as the drive in the spirit of sixty or more years ago.
Bias front radial rear, OK but still need to drive like a gentleman.
Radial front bias rear, never, never.
Radial all 'round, way to go.