Thread: Opinion please
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 02:31 PM   #19
rotorwrench

Default Re: Opinion please

This was in the time frame that Bob Gregory was getting pretty well settled in at the Ford Engineering Lab. Bob had a knack for drawing up designs that were to Edsel Ford's specifications so he became well entrenched at the lab in that time frame. Henry Ford set the wheel base & design of the chassis so this left them with little room to make any major changes. Bob & Edsel were always trying ways to get the best look with the same frame and that lasted until 1941 when Henry finally relented on the wheel base and frame design.

I think Edsel, Bob, and the rest of their design team did pretty well considering the limitations that Henry always put in front of progress. Each successive model became, in small part, a lead up to the next model. The 1938 deluxe coupe & sedan cab designs led up to the 1939 deluxe designs, and so on, so one may not have happened without the other. I would take a 1938 deluxe in a heartbeat if one showed up in my sights at the right time and under the right conditions. Now it might snag a 1939 Deluxe quicker but hey, they're all good.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote