View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #16
Dave in MN

Wink Installed on the starter side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary/IA View Post
The vendors suggest the disconnect switch should be between the battery and the starter, I think I remember a post that made an argument for putting the switch on the ground side of the battery. Which position would you recommend and why.
Gary/IA: I think I understand your question and it is a good one. I did not see the previous post regarding placing the switch on the ground side. Without serious thought, I can not come up with any good reasons to have it on the ground side of the system. When installing mine, I did not even consider the alternate side of the battery as I took the easy path and connected the battery cable that normally runs to the starter to the new switch and then added a short second cable from the cutoff switch to the starter. I mounted the cutoff under the hood using a modified available bracket for the switch. I placed the switch on the steering column with a "U" clamp for easy reach when the hood is raised a few inches. I may relocate it to mount through the floor boards when I have time as it is a bit of a pain to switch it on and off. Having two vehicles, one with a shutoff and one without, I often climb into the car with the shutoff and step on the starter to find I have no power...duh!
A couple "after the task" reasons to mount on the starter side of the battery: First: Placing a battery charger lead on the lug of the disconnect switch leading to the battery keeps the electrical system off to the vehicle yet allows for charging from under the hood rather than lifting the floor mat and battery inspection cover. Second: I try to think of ways to do any modifications from stock in a manner that are reversible if the next owner wants to restore it for originality judging. Mounting as I have with a clamp is easily reversed. Third: I guess if you wanted power available to a circuit on your car all the time yet you wanted to be able to shut down the rest of the system, the starter side disconnect would conveniently and safely allow for this by pulling power from the negative battery terminal or the hot side of the disconnect switch for this "always on" circuit... Hmmm...Can you imagine what would happen if you switched the ground side cable and ran a jumper off the ground side of the battery to complete a small circuit as discussed above and then stepped on the starter with the disconnect off. I think the result could be a melt down of the small circuit wiring. Hey...if this auxilary circuit wire was run under the seat, you may have developed a simple, one time use, seat warmer! Good Day! Dave in MN

Last edited by Dave in MN; 06-02-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote