View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #15
Flathead

Smile Re: Engine [Near] Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbright View Post
Thanks all for your kind words and support!

@Flathead: This car has a 26% Mitchell Overdrive and a 3.54:1 ratio rear end. I find that really kind of a requirement for daily driving on urban California roads and freeways.

@Bob B.: Nice drawing! Agree that 'just more torque' on the bolt holding on the return pipe isn't the answer - it always feels delicate to me. I will replace the gasket tomorrow.

@B. Terry: This engine has insert bearings, so maybe I will indeed shortly be in deep doo-doo. No knocking was heard today on my 7-mile each-way trip to work today. No doubt the right thing to do would be to re-inspect all bearings, maybe remove a shim per plastigauge result. However, this engine wasn't long for this car as it was - it never ran right - poor idle (missed below 700 rpm), I think some kind of imbalance, and a clutch that chatters like a 14 year old boy on a first date. This car's original engine is out being worked on, and will be back in four weeks or so, at which point I had already planned on a swap-out. For now, I'm limping to work and back on the remains of these bearings.

Good to hear on the 3.54's and Mitchell, I was uneasy thinking of you cruising at 65 with the stock set-up.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote