View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 05:57 AM   #8
Orignal36

Default Re: Fix it or leave it

Thank you all for your guidance. I want to be able to drive this car to cruise nights and leisurely drives in the fall to watch the leafs change (happy wife, happy life). Depending on how reliable I find it, maybe drive it up into New Hampshire so the original owners family can see her once again. I have all service records for this car going back into the 40's! She has about 80% of her original Washington Blue paint. The other 20% has faded into history! I know if the engine was not changed she would be considered a survivor and I should not change anything, but this is not the case.

The frame and tires are excellent, brakes are so so, as is the steering. Problem with the steering goes back to when they changed the engine. They left the Merc oil pan on which causes the steering to make contact with the oil pan. I have sourced the correct oil pan but need to find the pick up tube. This is my first dealings with mechanical brakes so I have some learning to do! She goes down the road straight, runs at 150 degrees.

Please do not get me wrong, I do have some mechanical experience. I have been an FAA certified airframe and powerplant mechanic for over 30 years. My welding is mediocre but if I take my time I can bring that up to speed. I do want to patch the fenders and floor to keep things from getting worse. As for the interior, I have no experience here but figured with a kit I would be able to follow directions.

Thanks again for the guidance, have anything else for me?
Orignal36 is offline   Reply With Quote