View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
rotorwrench

Default Re: 34 Ford and a 49-53 Engine

One difference is the 8BA types have a different offset on the flywheel for the starter engagement. Since the 8BA only has two compatible clutch combinations for the early 1 3/8 X 10 spline, the only ones that work are the 48 thru 50 pick up flywheel with the early 10 inch clutch or the 49 thru E51 Mercury flywheel with the Borg & Beck 10 inch clutch. Using the early transmission prior to 1935 will require something different though. You will have to drill any 8BA flywheel you can find for the early 9 inch set up so it will fit in there. Most machine shops can easily handle this mod so that would be an easy way to go unless you change to a later transmission. You could go either way then.

The next problem is the front clearance and mounting. The older Fords used a generator mounted fan up until they fit one to the crankshaft somewhere in 39 or so. The 8BA fan set up sticks out there farther and I don't know if it will fit with the angled type radiator. 8RT pick up pumps can be used to mount or you can convert the whole front of the motor to 59A style with an older crab style distributor. The hardest part of the conversion is either replaceing the cam or machining the gear stub on the front to drive the early distributor. I think the crank snout has to be shortened a bit to use the early pulley too. I've seen threads either here or on the HAMB that deal with this swap. It would be similar for all the angle mount radiator type cars from 33 through 38. I seem to remember some threads where they were successfull at using the 8RT type drive set up and distributor but they had to get real creative with the fan.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote