View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #15
GOSFAST

Default Re: So I have a little problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
I think you screwed yourself. Read post #2 & #4 . If you take the engine back to the builder, he will happily void the warranty on the build and drill it for you.
Hi Alan, that won't happen, at least not here, and it shouldn't happen anywhere else either!!

Hi Joe, what you want to do is fairly simple, 3/8" drill motor, 5/16" drill bit, and a 3/8-16 tap set. (starter, plug, and bottoming).

The key to getting it right is drilling/tapping as straight as possible, there's a bunch of ways to get this right, just takes some ingenuity!

There's a few shots below, one where we use the head machine here, the others, some of our in-house tooling we fabricated, simple for us, a bit harder for the at-home guys? Consists of asst'd bushings, a drill guide and a tap guide. These guides can be had most anywhere!

(Joe) I will contact you later!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you approach this correctly there isn't a chance of a single chip getting anywhere it doesn't belong. You start by using "duct" tape to close of the lifter valley, tape the block front to rear, leaving the intake bolt holes exposed! Second, using the same tape, you tape the 4 pair of intake ports, again, leaving the bolt holes exposed! This takes care of chips!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Ford Drill-Tap 5 Int Bolts.jpg (84.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Hole Drilling-Tapping Tools.JPG (81.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Assorted Drilling-Tapping Guides Hole Repairs.jpg (47.2 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 02-18-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: C
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote