View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #21
draggin49

Default Re: Looking for input /opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The McCulloch superchargers of that vintage had their ups & downs. McCulloch updated them as problems showed up. One was oiling. When the oil gets broken down by use, the blower starts to get noisier. They improved it early on but the worm screw drive has a tendency to wear rather quickly and the gears are unobtanium. Folks that want to use them have been having new gears fabricated by machine shops that specialize in gear hobbing and the like. I think material shortages in the early 40s sort of shut the project down at McCulloch so it only lasted for a few years. They still made superchargers but mostly for military applications. After the war, McCulloch started a company using his middle name Paxton. Those superchargers were manufactured for a long time in various configurations & model numbers.
Great info , much appreciated. McCulloch seemed to be a pretty interesting /successful guy . I was gonna search out some of the various guys running the same one I have and see who they used to source those parts that are no longer obtainable .
draggin49 is offline   Reply With Quote