View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #19
GOSFAST

Default Re: How do I fix this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
None of the conrods are centred in any of the pistons. The worst 'set' is as I pictured, with only .020" clearance. I still have the milling machine set up from when I machined the piston bosses, so could take a bit more off of the two pistons on one side, alternatively could take a bit off of the side of the small end of the conrods. Which would be preferable? I ask again- what is the minimum side clearance required?
Hi Brian, on higher HP units you would want .060", I believe you could get by on the Flatheads with a .040" minimum.

Having said that, if you're going to make a correction just take it right to .060".

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. During the course of working with almost ALL crank mfr's, from the budget pieces (Eagle/Scat, both Chinese) up to the "Made-in-the-USA" high-end ones, we see many pitfalls with most. Recently had one hell of a time balancing a fairly expensive Crower shaft. Ended up welding our own flange to the existing flywheel flange on the Crower. I called out there and really complained, they didn't care at all and said "if you don't want the crank send it back". Definitely not fair to the end customer??
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote