View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #26
koates

Default Re: Resistor voltage drop.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
B_man_Al So you say that a volt test meter or an ammeter in series reads the average voltage or current at the coil when the engine is running because of the rapid opening and closing of the (distributer contacts) circuit. Its like a voltage and current regulator in effect. The meter is reading in error because of the above effect. I don't think so ! The meter is reading exactly what is happening in the circuit. What is happening in the circuit is different between engine running and not running. The ignition coil and its resistor have a lower current draw with engine running. With the engine not running the current draw of the coil is higher and the resistor is getting hotter and so increases its resistance more so than with the engine running. So whats the point in testing with the engine stopped because that is not the ignition systems operating conditions. Yes this is a little hard to get your head around but I agree to disagree with you and do my tests with the engine running and the ignition primary circuit under actual operating conditions. Regards, Kevin.

Last edited by koates; 09-11-2017 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Adjustment
koates is offline   Reply With Quote