View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
packrat5
BANNED

Default Re: Opening a front door...

Okay, first of all, this post is going off in a different direction like most of them do. (If you don't know, WHY do you post?) With that said, the problem is lack of lubrication/old dried up lubrication on the latch mechanism itself. Run the window all the way down. Now look at the latch with a POWERFUL flashlight. You will see that the latch is half locked/unlocked, and the lock is half locked/unlocked. Now lube up the latch with motor oil, NOT penetrating oil. Lots of oil, like running out the bottom. Penetrating oil won't do a damn thing. I had a long flat blade screwdriver with the end bent over at a 90 degree. Repeat long screwdriver, long enough to comfortably reach the latch. Now you have to lift the lock back to open position, and pull the door release back to normal position. You may have to go back and alternate it for several times to get it right. The harder the door latch has been jammed by trying different stupid methods to open it, will result in more difficulty in unjamming it. THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY TO ACCOMPLISH THIS, PERIOD. NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK. Any other method will result in jamming it tighter, or ruining the latch.This was a common occurrence in the 60s and 70s When you finally get it open, take EVERYTHING in the door apart, and lube it up really good with some light grease and oil. NOT penetrating oil. Lube up the window rollers, and regulator, etc as well, the window will work better. When you master this, do ALL the doors and windows as well. They will all need it, and are probably ready to stick as well. I did hundreds of these thing over the years, I know what I am talking about.
By the way, removing the door panel will accomplish nothing. You can't reach the latch easily, or remove it either, until the latch is unjammed and the door is open.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote