View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #70
Forddan

Default Re: Locating dimple on timing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
This is not incorrect. The backup distributor if set up properly can run forever as though it were new. Human hands are the only thing that can change a mechanical junction (which timing is) whether dist. #1, #2 or even #12 back up.
Pull any of the 12 back up distributors turn the engine as many times as you want and it will still be in time when you drop any of the distributors back in.
Katy is correct if we talk about other worn parts.

John
Thanks John !

Short story: a few weeks back I had a thread where I described that my car was backfiring, stalling, shaking like a horse, etc.

All started after a 60 mile trip, fortunately at arrival to my house.

It took me 2 weeks and $150 in replacement parts to finally find that the distributor lower plate was grounding. Not the wire, the metal to what is soldered the wire.

I decided, to get a rebuilt distributor and have it at the trunk. In case that happens 50 miles away home I can swap the distributor. For me that will be easier to do "on the road" than changing parts and time again.

That is my rational and the origin of my question : Can I have a timed distributor in the car trunk for an emergency?

If I understand you well, the answer is YES.

Thanks again
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote