View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Default Re: Serial Number Issue

Ford did a lot of things out of the normal range but it should have all three numbers. You may have to check the spot at the side body mount. Numbers can be raised with the right type acid if they were ever stamped. The acid picks up on the extra density in the area where the metal was displaced but I would figure you should at least be able to see two or three numbers there no matter how lightly they were stamped in. When you can't see signs of any numbers at all, it's easy to assume that that area was overlooked and just wasn't stamped. All of the US Ford light vehicles of that era shared the same frame so all should be stamped the same. Canadian production would be another story. I can't tell you how they were stamped but they did use different number coding than what was used in the US so they may be different.

Good luck on finding a number. I've heard that PA can be difficult but that's not the only state that is. Some only require a pencil rubbing of the numbers and others have to verified by a state authorized inspector and they are usually members of that state's police organization. Some states allow for assembly title by assigning a number but it usually requires a bond and may require a bill of sale from the previous owner.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote