View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Water Outlet Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Man View Post
Just back into Model A's and trying to get a '29 back on the road. Fitted a new head gasket, and torqued the head using the correct sequence and torque stages, ending up at 55 lbs all around. Unfortunately, I have apparently cracked one of the mounting ears on the water outlet, will need to replace it. I had heard that eliminating the gasket and just using silicone RTV on both bare surfaces is the best way to go, but only after I already had fitted a gasket. New outlet is on the way. Any suggestions on what to do to not repeat this would be greatly appreciated. Also, am I correct in assuming that all cylinder head nuts will need to be fully loosened and the tightening sequence redone in its entirety? Appreciate the help!
You need no more than just a wipe of silicone to seal the outlet. Don't use too much or what squeezes out will end up in the top tank.
You won't need to loosen all of the head studs, just the two that hold the outlet. Re torque to 55 ftlb and you're good.