View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
pgerhardt

Default Re: 29 Tudor pinstripe - wrong & now right!

When I say "wrong" I am speaking as a judge might trying to compare a restored model A to a new original car as outlined in the JS.

As far as paint finish goes, IDK if Ford would have spent any extra on the paint than necessary. Today cars are commodities which you unwrap and use without a thought, that is until enough "idiot lights" come on, then you get a new one. Notice that today's owner's manuals have little or no mechanical info. Compair that to a model A manual. Back then you were expected to maintain your car, including the finish by keeping it clean and waxed.

As far as personal preference goes, "What ever floats your boat". Some clear coat rust, and call it a day. Some use flat or semigloss paint. However if you just spent thousands of dollars to have a car restored at a shop, I don't think you would be happy with that. Nor would I be happy with a plastic looking "wet paint job". But that is me. Even though I do all the work myself, I try to attain "restoration shop" results so went with lacquer. I think it is glossy enough, and still looks like a real car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 2.28.29 PM.jpg (98.5 KB, 97 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote