View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Charging?? Can’t say it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in MA View Post
It is my understanding that the battery powers the starter and ignition while starting and then when the alternator gets excited it takes over. So if you then disconnect the battery the car should still run. Does it?

If the system is charging it will run with a battery cable disconnected , if the idle speed is fast enough for the generator or alternator to begin charging . Don't run or drive with a loose or disconnected cable or problems will likely follow .

For a quick check I have quickly loosened the ground cable with the engine running at a fast idle . If the engine quits running when the cable is lifted off the post , then the system isn't charging .Yes running with the battery disconnected can and will do damage but a quick and instant test will confirm if the system is charging. If the engine still runs after the cable is lifted off , quickly reconnect the cable and no harm will result . I'm not recommending this but I have done this many times on some of my model A's over the years . This test will confirm if the system is charging.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote