View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #17
Henryat1140

Default Re: The History of the Lincoln Motor Car Company

When I see something like this movie with Edsel, it makes me sad.

I've done a fair amount of reading on the history of the FoMoCo, and one of the tragedies is Ford's treatment of Edsel. He was really mean to him, sometimes bullying him in front of others. Ford's rationale was that Edsel was 'too soft', and needed toughening up. The truth was Edsel was the treasure of FoMoCo; had the the vision and imagination, while Henry was hidebound, mistrustful and rooted in old ways. He was much under the influence of Harry Bennett, the evil head of security, who was a real thug.

There was contention between Bennett and Edsel for Henry's attention.

Those of use who love the flathead era owe a lot to Edsel and his influence. Bob Gregorie, the visionary stylist was a close friend and protege of Edsel's. We have Gregorie to thank for the styling during the 30's.

We have Edsel to thank for hydraulic brakes, shift on the column, and other innovations.

By most contemporary reports Edsel was a gentle somewhat shy person.

After he died, the company floundered until Henry II took it over. One of his first actions was to fire Harry Bennett.

It's an interesting period, and much as we admire Henry for his part in history, he was far less human in his personal life.
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote