View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #28
duke36

Default Re: Burning Out Ignition Coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
And if you want to switch to 12volts, here is a cheap way to go... I just bought a one wire alternator brand new, on eBay, for $29.00, with free shipping. It is the small Chevy Cruse style, but has a V belt pulley. This pulley is for a narrow V belt, but it has enough meat so that 5 minutes on the lathe can open it up wide enough for a model A fan belt. These are rated at 55 amps I believe so plenty of amps for the A, and being so small, they are super easy to mount. I've previously put one on my 29 A pickup, my Ford 8N tractor, my 54 Studebaker Starliner, and my 63 Studebaker Avanti, with no issues whatever. I just bought this one for the 26 T hot rod I am building. These alternators just work.

Now the normal eBay price on these is about $50.00 - $70.00, so I did find a deal at $29.00 (was listed at $31, with make an offer, so I offered $29 and they accepted it), but even at $50, these are a great way to go to 12volts for cheap. Made by Denso, used on several different vehicles, but most are 4 wire, and flat belt, so make sure you get the V belt one wire version. They also come with the outlet terminal clocked in one of 4 different positions, so watch for that.

Here is a current listing. Keep checking though, they come up cheaper, all the time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERNA...edirect=mobile

And about those coils burning up, just go 12volt, get a 12volt coil with an internal resister, and be done with that problem forever. Oh, and you might also want to plug in a Honda distributor with electronic ignition, both mechanical and vacuum advance, and forget all those points/condenser issues as well, plus get better mileage and performance. (Just what I do...) Gee, with no need for that spark lever any longer, you can use it for your turn signals!
The ad says 35 amps output. Do they have a larger one ? Also, the vendors sell the A size pulleys. I wonder if they would fit the Denso shaft ?
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote