View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 AM   #5
vincent

Default Re: Need your advice for new engine

The engine does rev well beyond of what is good for it, it is well over 4000 revs at 60 mph.(no fan so I can hear the engine very well) Tubman describes exactly what I feel/hear: no more power but a lot of noise. I know the engine is tired and I know it is undergeared and I know that I will sink a lot of money and time into this engine without achieving what I would like as more cubics would give more grunt. Of course this engine has to come out and needs a complete overhaul but I would like to replace it with a bigger brother of the family. My daily business for the last 30 years is repairing/restoring classic british bikes, mainly Nortons and Vincents. I rebuilt double engined Vincent motors for the Max Lambky streamliner that I raced for ten years on the Bonneville salt flats so I guess there is a bit of knowledge about engines but of course not much about the variety of the early Ford V8īs so that is why I am here to ask all the gearheads. Having looked into the T5 thread I realized there is a lot of modification to the frame that I would like to avoid. I would like to cruise at around 65mph with a low-revving engine so thats where it should have around 2500 revs in high gear. Advice how to make this small engine a reliable "screamer" is not what I asked for. Also I want to get away from the babitt bearings, unfortunately the 34 Model comes with this set-up. So my question is still: which engine is available with 4,2 ltrs or (modified) more and will be the best way to achieve what I want. At the moment there is a 59 ab and a french 8ba on offer - your advice? The 59ab is unknown internally but seems to run good, the french flat has heads off and looks good/usable what there is to see.
The car is converted to hydraulic brakes all around so a little more load and/or speed is possible.
cheers, Harty
PS: JSeery, you are in Wichita as well- do you know Max?

Last edited by vincent; 08-10-2020 at 02:51 AM.
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote