View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Vin-tin

Default not run in years-do's and don't's

I picked up a '29 tudor about 2 years ago. The guy said it was last run back around 1993. He had temporarily lost indoor warm storage for it and because of vandalism to the ignition system, and a winter-frozen cracked block and head, it had sat parked since then. Thankfully he found another dry place to store it but the damage was already done.

I pulled the head off and the cylinder walls look shiny and there is no ridge at the top. The pistons do have a little side-to-side movement. I put MMO and PB Blaster in each cylinder hoping to free-up the rings if they are stuck.
I already fixed the crack in the block using the advice from someone here on the Barn.
Besides the obvious of buying another head, gaskets, and fixing/cleaning/setting the ignition parts/timing, and checking fluid levels, what do i need to do to the engine before i try to fire it up? Should i pour oil down the distributor shaft hole? What about the generator system?
I'd like to just see if it will "sputter" on starting fluid before i pull the fuel system apart to clean it.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote