View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: remove surface rust on transmission gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfromnc View Post
I plan to tear down the 39 transmission in my pickup to inspect and replace what i should but how do I go about removing all the surface rust on the gears? or should I just look for something else? I do have several later model transmissions that are side shift. maybe i can use gears and gearsets from them?
drfromnc, I think Terry, Oh gave you some good advice. Take that 39 transmission completely apart and clean all the parts as he suggested. Pitting of any bearing journals, sliding surfaces, surfaces that rotate against each other, etc, would be parts that are highly questionable for reuse. As already mentioned, if you do any bead blasting, make sure critical areas of those parts are masked from the bead blast. I would suggest getting any bearings, synchronizer rings, spacers, thrust washers, replacement gears, gasket set, and seals that are necessary from Third Gen Automotive, or Mac Van Pelt. They both carry the best of whatever you may need. Also, regarding books available from Vern Tardell and Mac VanPelt, I think both are good, but Mac's is much more comprehensive. Good luck with your rebuild, and if you have any questions on this, post them here on this same thread, and I'm sure you'll get some good answers.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-09-2021 at 08:12 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote