View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
LazarusLong

Default Re: Yes,there IS such a critter as a factory FOM flat 6 Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Mr. Long (he has taken his avatar name from a character in a Robert Heinlein novel. Methuselah's Children) has an interest in 1951 Fords. Because of some phyical problems, he would like to install a Ford-A-Matic in his 1951 Ford DeLuxe coupe. Most of us here do not believe that Ford offered their new automatic transmission behind the "H" 6 cylinder engine, because it would have been a very unpopular 1 year only option.

He appears to have found an existing example.

Is that essentially correct, Mr. Long? (I apologize for stepping in here, but when I am is such a position, I find that everything is more clear to all if a third party explains what's going on).

Mr tubman,your understanding is perfect.

I HAD to post about it here because I know of no other place with such dedicated shoebox fans,and as I had mentioned before,even the people at the Henry Ford Museum had never heard of or seen a flat 6 51 Ford with a FOM transmisson.

Others,including shoebox parts vendors and restorers told me such a thing had never existed,despite me having factory sales literature produced by Ford offering the new Automatic trans as an option with the 6 cylinder engine.

Basically,I found it by hounding ebay sellers who were selling 51 Ford stuff. I would just send them emails through ebay asking if they had any FOM parts for a flat 6 Ford,and after several years,got lucky when one seller answered that he had it all and would sell it for 400 bucks.

AFAIC tell,the ONLY thing he was missing was a FOM steering column,which I already have.

I will try to post some photos of the tailshaft and driveshaft tomorrow.
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote