View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
hardtimes

Default Re: 60 hp AV8 performance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
Hi guys ! I seen an ad locally for a '29 A coupe w/a 60 hp V8 in it .
How do you guys think it would go , compared to a (heavier ?) '37 coupe with a 85 hp ? Just curious ......
Good question !
At one time, I was smitten by the V8-60 bug and had several good runners.
At the time , I was assembling parts for my '30 roadster. I put a couple of the 60s (diff color engines ) into the frame, just to see what. After much contemplation, put a 239 in same place for same reason. Ended up with a '32 B banger that was warmed up.
The 60 looked 'cute' and its rpm range was impressive...but it just didn't have the cubes or the torque. My guess is that it was made/used at all for fuel economy ! My 60s sold like hotcakes to a hungry crowd . The buyers were/are midget builders/racers.

Now , the '32 banger warmed up is at 100hp +/-. That engine can and is built as wild as a guy wants to spend for. Bored/stroked, etc..a B can be made with 239 cu. Torque and rpm with gearing is very satisfactory. I know a guy who spent thousands warming up his 60. He would never compete with a warmed up B, unless the B was sitting on a stand !

All flatheads, IMO, look great with dressing. And, the 60 looks cute in a model a..did mention that ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote