View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #14
PeteVS

Default Re: Steering box adjustment

I'm working on a car made up from parts from this and that. I got the steering box located in the frame, turned the wheel fully left and put a piece of tape at the top dead center. Then, counting turns, turned it fully to the right and put a piece of tape at top dead center. Then, turned it back half the number of turns toward the left and I put a third piece of tape at top dead center again. If you got the turns right, this should be exactly half way between the two other pieces of tape. This is where you want to set your steering to be nice and tight. Then, I installed a pitman arm pointing straight down which is where you want it for driving straight ahead. I had to file out the "blocker" splines in my pitman arm to get it straight down. I made a new drag link from 7/8" OD tubing by 1/8" wall and tapped both ends 11/16-18 thread, one end RH and the other LH.

I understand that '34s have the fixed length drag link and I'm assuming that the Ford engineers worked all of the fiddling that I did into the design. If there are ANY differences between the original worm and the one you're using, such as clocking of a key way to the start point of the worm thread, that would screw everything up.