View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 05:19 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: babbit tolerance? .000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Cant fit and finish when your building 7500 engines a day..foreman watching you all the time,the stopwatch running..get it close and ship it.if it failed to spin down to the value it went back to the motor building if it could be fixed quick it was,if not it was scrapped.

Ford's assembly line was a cold unforgiving environment..if it works and was installed in time great,if not? scrap it...or fire him..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Assembly lines are all hard work jobs no matter what the company or the product. Since Ford developed the assembly lines, they were good at making improvements to keep up both production and quality. If a line inspector was letting too many failing products by, they would have come looking for him so it was not just the line that had to worry about stuff. This type of work would have been better for the younger folks since it's not a sit down job but they paid their workers pretty well.

Some of the first person accounts mention that Ford kept their buildings cleaner than most of the other auto manufacturers did. One thing I felt about the assembly line work, since I worked on one while I was in A&P school, is that the time went by fast and then you were out of there. You just get damn good at putting widgets in the thingamajigs. I helped put glass in a lot of boat windows while I did that type of work. The glass all came from a Ford Motor Company glass plant.

I fail to see what you guys are calling 'time to ft and finish'. All the components were designed to fit. All crankshaft & rods were poured with identical mandrels, and all crankshafts were machined to the same specs. The Assembler did not need to check clearances of bearing or bores, nor monkey with valve lash clearances as EVERYTHING was the same from engine to engine.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )