Thread: Fitting Sump
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Fitting Sump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi View Post
Ronnie ,
You are saying you trim the gasket to fit around the rear main seal,,,,,like a half moon pie cut shape ?

And,,,,you leave the rope seal long,,,,to help compress and make a better seal ?
How long,,,,whatever it comes as ?
I’m not there yet,,,it will still be a while before I need this in use .
I’ve always used sealer to help join things,,,,but this is my first rope seal .
I’m going with a 1 piece front seal,,,,.but my rear will be the normal rope type .
What’s the best rope seal ?

Tommy
Yes Tommy if the gasket set has the original rope style seal leave the seal the length it is there's no need to modify it at all. When the two half's are compressed they will seal correctly. Also there's no need to put any sealer between the ends of the seals. Some current gasket sets still have the original design rope seal as well as older gasket sets.

The Best brand gasket sets usually come with the graphite style rear seals they work extremely well. The graphite seals come long so they must be trimmed once installed. When the graphite seal is long the gasket set includes a height gauge that is easy to use and includes a razor knife to trim the seal to the correct height.

The actual difference between the two styles of rear seals has to do with the drag produced between the two types. The graphite seal will have less drag when installed and in effect a bit less heat from the frication caused by drag. For a stock build and a mildly modified engine this difference is not important.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 11-28-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote