Thread: electric fan
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #6
Synchro909

Default Re: electric fan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Why? The stock cooling system is more than adequate for a stock Model A. I doubt there is anything you could do to a modified Model A engine to make it overheat if it is running properly. What is the rest of the story?

Charlie Stephens
I had trouble with my A overhating in 2013. At great expense, I put in a Brassworks heavy duty radiator - the best available at the time, I was told. There was no improvement over the one I had had made locally. The motor was a fairly mild touring engine and I was travelling at about 50 mph in temperatures around 30+C (high 80s F). In my case, the rest of the story is I was towing a camper that weighed about a ton (2,240 lb).
So there's something that was done to a modified Model A engine that made it overheat! My only way to keep going was to drop the speed back and take it out of O/D.
I have since had a new core put in the original radiator here in Australia. It is is far more efficient than the US one. When not towing, I have to cover part of the radiator.