View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #16
GB SISSON

Default Re: Inner Tubes for Radials?

Here's my take... Back in the 90s I had a truck with multi piece wheels. I wanted to run radials so I did. I even went the extra mile and made sure I had tubes for radial tires.... Well, after fixing my second flat my tire guy at the gas station pointed out that tubeless radials have these ribs on the inside of the carcase. Sort of in a radial pattern, I think we have all seen them. Well, according to tire guy they chafe on the tube as they flex (and boy do radials flex) and then wear through the tube and cause failure. Now this was a truck I put 20,000 miles a year on back in those days and last month I mounted some radials on the same split rims. I used radial rated tubes, but on this one I doubt I will put 500 miles per year. Judge your usage from that....,. Less miles, less chafe?????
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote