View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
hardtimes

Default Re: Rear spring u bolts won't tighten

Quote:
Originally Posted by moasew View Post
I'm using the original springs and brackets that I removed from the car.The brackets are 3/4" high as opposed to 5/8". Maybe because it's an early 28? I just cleaned,lubricated and attempting to reinstall.The spring is a 10 leaf which is proper for my early 28 tudor. The brackets are tight against the spring but the castle nut is flush with the bottom of the u bolt so I can't install the cotter pin.I understood the recommendation (Les Andrews) was to place a cushion(rubber or body welting) on top of the rear and front spring to prevent squeaking.Is this not the case? If not should I place one between the frame and body?I took a few photos but this forum is looking for a web link which I don't have. I can't directly attach them here.If someone wants to send their email I can email them.Thanks for everyone's input.
As said, if I were you...with what you've described...I'd remove the rubber/cushion and all will be well, IMO. Make sure that the TOP edge of the TOP filler leaf...is tapered on its' edges , so that it rides against the taper of the cross member closely.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote