View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Truck oil pan gasket - one inside & one outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
I have a 49-53 Mercury Flathead in mine. I got the oil pan with the big round clean-out. When I first got the car 2 years ago I changed out the gasket but I only did the outside one, big mistake, leaks like a sieve! I am going to do it again and want to do both gaskets this time. Can that inner gasket be done correctly while pan is still on the car? I think remember an inner flange.
One huge problem I had was that the bolts had no way to hold the heads from spinning because they are inside the pan. i ended up getting studs with Allen key holes in the end. I put a nyloc on the other end that is in the oil pan. I remember not being very happy about the whole situation and definitely not happy about how it came out. I am going to re-do it soon. Anybody have any good advice? Are these bolts normal to be like that?
Thanks...Dave
Dave the original ring that's located inside the oil pan did not have bolts. Ford used studs they are spot welded to the ring so there's never anything turning when your tightening the nuts on the lower plate . There should be enough room in the area of the inner ring to lift it high enough to get the inner gasket inside the pan. The challenge may be moving the ring out of the way some so your hands are free to place the gasket inside.
Ronieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote