View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Cam Degreeing/Checking Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Hi Ronnie, no different than decreeing a Chev, or any other brand.

On these Flatheads we start by slotting (elongating) all 4 cam gear holes, when we get the cam where we want it installed we tighten the bolts (we never use the OEM bolts).

We then slide the cam out of the block with the gear still attached and set it up in a fixture I made to install a SBC type pin (1/4"). The pin ends up getting pressed into in the cam and being a "slip-fit" fit for the gear.

Once the cam is in the fixture it's a 10 minute pinning job! I'll have a shot of this maybe sometime tomorrow! It takes about another extra 5 minutes if we want the "timing-pill" in the program. In this case the pin hole (only) in the cam gear gets drilled to accept the "pill" diameter after removing it from the cam. The other 4 now slotted bolt holes allow for the movement needed to locate the cam depending on the "pill" offset, 2*, 4*, 6*, or 8*.

We check every single build we do, always have. We drill the Chevy cam gears even before we start working with them, all 4 holes.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Dale, these cams need to be moved, there is no "recommendations" on any of the cam cards where they want the cams, we wouldn't care anyway, we always put them where we know they'll work best, depending on the application!

Gary I stay focused and specialized i never do Chevy engines or as I call them agent orange engines. My specialty is and always has been Ford Flathead's. But i have and will do any HEMI type engines of course including ARDUN's daily driving a 426 HEMI is also fun.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote