View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #25
M2M

Default Re: My 1st decent drive of Model A and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
No reason a quail should "leak". Try a variety of gaskets til it stops leaking. JMO
Paul in CT

First I fitted new gaskets...leaks. By "leaks" I mean it does not seal tightly enough for 50+mph speeds; and I'm NOT talking steam, my car runs cool, I mean water being pumped by the water pump at high rpm. Then I purchased the special O-ring...leaks. An O-ring together with a gasket is too thick; quail will not close. While week after week pass ordering parts and waiting then ordering again I'm running the car on water rather than on anti-freeze. I could have tried putting Right Stuff then the O-ring but I do not want to live in fear of that patch job repair failing and anti-freeze destroying a nice paint job. My reproduction quail is poor quality...that's the problem. Add to all this if someone tries to steal the quail they will probably end up destroying the radiator neck. What the A hobby needs is non-locking caps fitted with moto-meters like Model Ts have. Game over; time to move on. I've fitted a standard cap, no leak at 55+mph.

Last edited by M2M; 09-28-2019 at 03:07 PM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote