View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
hardtimes

Default Re: Antifreeze Loss Mystery

Hey Ray,
Some good thots for your consideration, so far. My questions asked to narrow clues:
-are you running a thermostat ? I'm guessing 180, if you are ?
-have you looked at plugs for evidence of water, while this problem goes on ?
-have you checked ALL possible water connections, including water pump shaft and gasket ?
-have you ever checked oil dip stick for moisture ...before and after warm up ?
-have you done a compression check , if all else above seems ok?
-is block (A or B) and head STOCK, and did you use head gasket sealant(coppercoat)?
-was radiator cleaned/cored ?
Lots of reasons ...why coolant can be lost, and answers to above questions can lead to remedy. For example, if stock block, was it crack repaired ? If so, could repair have failed. If head is stock and no sealant and not RETORQUED properly, could account for problem. Now, if water found on plug and/or on dip stick...and no repairs on block, then head flatness and/or gasket blown is indicated. Compression test, done properly, can rule in/out possible blown head gasket. It's all a matter of a thorough investigation and evidence gathering process that will give you the answer
to your problem. Make a list and rule each item in or out !
It can be as simple as an external leak (hoses/gaskets/connections) or more involved. Investigate the simple things first then move on to more serious possibilities.
BTW..I've run antifreeze all year for ever with leakless stock type pump. You WILL blow water out overflow, if overfilled. But, not two and half quarts...if overfill is only problem !

Ray, I see where you just posted minute before my input. Hm, running 185 ain't bad , with a 165 thermostat, but I'd still do all suggested checks as gas from blown head gasket into water system would raise water temps. Also, look into radiator with flashlight to see coolant level easily. And, I see where you have high comp head. How high is your comp ratio, as higher/higher makes proper use of processes more critical.

Last edited by hardtimes; 05-11-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: upate....
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote