View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Frame - is it straight?

I'm sure someone will post a plan of the chassis with dimensions for you. As for the m all being the same, no they are not. The difference is most obvious at the front cross member. The "pad" on which the radiator sits is lower on the 30/31 chassis than the earlier ones. If you have one of each side by side, you will see what I mean or maybe someone will post a picture of that too.
The most likely place for the chassis to bend is a sag at the rear engine mounts. I clamp a 1/2" thick piece of wood to the rail at the front X member and the other end near the middle X member and stretch a string between them. If there is any sag, it will show as a smaller gap under the string at the engine mounts.
FWIW, The chassis under my Phaeton is bent there and I'm hoping to straighten it without taking everything apart.
With all of that said, I wouldn't trust your welded chassis - replace it. At least a "new" chassis is possible over there.