View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
Fordors

Default Re: Almost a disaster, a reminder,...and a question

For starters, how much free play do you have before the push rod meets the piston? A typical brake pedal ratio will be 6 to 1, so if you had, let's say, 5/16" free play you need to move the pedal 2" to begin to move the piston. Check the f/p and if necessary adjust for 1/16" or so.
Without knowing what your front brakes are but seeing a dual master and AN style fittings at the m/c ports I wonder, do you have disc brakes in front? AN (aircraft style hardware) is used on lots of modified cars and there is nothing wrong with it, I just made an observation. If that is the case then as the brake pads wear the piston and pad will move out so that the brakes are always "right there" so to speak. The pads are in light contact with the rotor even when you are not pressing down on the pedal. With this scenario your fluid level will go down, even though there is no leak in the system. When you put new pads on one needs to push the caliper pistons back and consequently the fluid level returns to normal. You can top it off if you do have discs, but when replacing brake pads be sure to take some fluid out first.
Dot 5 in the can will be purple in color, but soon after it is in use it will become clear, maybe with a touch of amber. I think Barry is on the right track, maybe flush the system and then you know what you have for sure.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote