View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 02:19 AM   #38
Karl

Default Re: Coronavirus vs "A" Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I don't want this to sound political - I know that's not allowed but politics and the Government's response to this thing are intertwined. Over here, we have had 24 deaths from the virus and our Government was onto it quicker than most. In the media today, we heard that the latest US toll is about 5,000. At that rate and on a per capita basis, you guys would have had less than 400 deaths if your Government had not sat on its hands for so long. From what we hear, the US is on track to at least match the death rate in Italy. You guys can't let your guard down for a moment so please don't.
BTW, Animal trials started here today on 2 vaccines aimed at the virus and a few days ago, scientists here found a compound that adheres to the surface of the virus and apparently stops it replicating inside a host cell. Even though there has never been an effective vaccine for any Corona Virus, let's hope one is found for this bug soon and we can all get back to living.
BTW again. I want shares in the company that is first into production with a cure or a vaccine.
New Zealand has had one death and we have over 700 cases. Its to early to see how effective our lock down is because after a week we are still seeing cases that were infected prior to the lock down.

I showed up at the Medical Centre for work 2 days ago and developed a sore throat and cough and headache as I was driving to work . I am now at home awaiting the COVID swab result -I would be astounded if it is positive as all my symptoms have gone . I have had contact with sick people but no one who fitted COVID criteria so if positive goodness knows where I got it from. If the swab is clear I will return to work tomorrow as I am needed.

The vaccine as you say is is already developed but needs to be tested to ensure is safe and I believe that is what takes the time. It's probably at least 12 months before we see a vaccine

In New Zealand there is also a shortage of swabs and based on Ministry of Health guidelines we have been rationing testing due to the shortage. Only to hear our Primeminister (who has actually done a pretty good job on this) criticise us for not doing enough swabs.

Stay safe -Karl