View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #19
tubman

Default Re: Need for early condensers?

That's all well and good Mr. Seery, but I am not aware of any way to quantify it and make judgements on what is good and bad short of analyzing the deposition pattern on the points. The stuff "Bubba" posted is interesting as well, but what's good and what's bad? A quicker rise on the graph? A slower one? A higher peak value. A lower one? There was a discussion on the H.A.M.B. about a year ago about increasing engine performance by making condenser changes. It slowly ground to a halt, because no one seemed to have any definitive knowledge and the general consensus ended up where I am now.

I will still maintain that all other things being equal, and engine will run fine over a large range of capacitances. You may end of paying for it in point life. Or maybe not. I know I'd rather change points every 10,000 miles as they slowly deteriorate rather than have a condenser expire quickly any old time it feels like it.

If any of you electronical geniuses out there can set me straight, I sure would like to know more about it, but as of now, I'm stickin' to my guns.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote