View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #14
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Need for early condensers?

[QUOTE=tubman;1866569]Bubba,

I have been pretty seriously into this for the last 4 or 5 years, and haven't see any discernible difference between a low .20's and mid .30's micro-farad condenser on a points ignition. I have never seen any difference in performance and I haven't run any for enough miles( >20,000) to see any difference in point wear. What do you base your statement on? My first prototype had a .047 micro-farad capacitor (it was all I had at the time) and the engine ran perfect. From everything I've experienced, the rating of the condenser (withing reason) has very little effect on the system. It is more important that it is stable and is built robust enough (a high DV/DT rating) to withstand the continuous rapid recycling occurring in an automotive ignition system. I would expect that there is enough variation in coils (caused by age and differences in construction) to make a minor difference in condenser capacitance moot.

I agree your condensors have been very good . However we need to be a little more exact in our testing, i bought and built my 60 engine stand to do exactly that then got sick , i am getting better every day and will get some running engine scope dsiplays showing the effects of a good versus marginal or under over condensor .....
This waveform shows the exact coil action from build up to discharge , this is just a example from my software .......
By the way you can go to www.picotech.com and download their software with out having the scope , select automotive and they have example waveform tech notes etc >>>>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x1_primary_current.jpg (19.5 KB, 38 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote